Monday, January 31, 2011

Word of the Week.....

I ran into a long time acquaintance this morning on my way to work and, as we were doing the quick catch up before our respected transit buses arrived, the one word I would use to describe her and would say I've always used to describe her is ..... gumption. Of course this got the ol' wheels turning and out came the "memo" function on my Blackberry. I think the guy sitting next to me is in awe at the speed of my thumbs. I'm tempted to look at him and say "Yes, I really could kick your ass at any video game." alas I continue my memo to self. 


Definition of gumption you ask? According to our friends over at Dictionary.com (again thank you Blackberry for this free app) it is "courage; spunk; guts"


Now would I say this is a word I would use to describe myself....ummmm.....nope, but well lets face it we can't really trust the words we'd use to describe ourselves. I would whole heartedly say that living my life with a certain level of gumption is defiantly the direction I am heading towards. I believe and know that there are situations and experiences that I have gone through that have taken a certain about of gumption, but not on an on going constant basis. I look at the women I surround myself with, my friends, my role models and even some of the girls at work and I would say they have it in spades and it is absolutely a quality I admire about them. 


So now what, well as I look at my lunch bag, which so happens to be the infamous Lulu lemon bag, staring my in the face is "Do one thing a day that scares you." I remember this scene from a really good movie "The Holiday" where they are talking about "be the leading lady in your own life". 


So, this week while tying it together with my "being enough" exercise I am going to practice gumption! 


Let's see what this week has in store......

No comments: