Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Pigeon or Statue?...

In continuation of taking on my list from the article in my “Doing Me”post (click here to read)….

#10. Accept that some days you’re the pigeon and some days you’re the statue.

I like to think that I wake up each morning and, like Cinderella, have little birds and mice that help me get ready while I sing a beautiful tune. My “skinny” jeans are fitting perfectly, so I stick my tongue out at my “fat” jeans as I close the closet door. I have a super yummy and healthy breakfast and make my way to work. First phone call, and as I’m reaching for the phone I spill my sweet cup of caffeinated joy all over my desk and jeans, crap. It’s my boss with a last minute urgent request, grabbing the list from yesterday, I look and see if I can prioritize this companies ever growing list of “Urgent” requests and soon realize that someone is going to get pissed that they got moved to the bottom of the list. Staff members calls in sick, customers start getting annoyed and soon you are wondering where all those little irritatingly helpful birds and mice were from this morning. Sure they can help you get ready, but where are there when a customer is ripping you a new one because his logo proof hasn’t yet arrived, or the police are standing in your office doorway waiting for you to burn surveillance footage you told them would be ready. But, then the officer smiles and says “Having a rough day?” You snicker and nod as you’re looking through video footage for the rat bastard that stole from your store, he says “Just remember some days you’re the pigeon and some days you’re the statue”.  Instantly I felt all the stress concern and worry leave my body because all you can do is do what you can do and get done what you can get done. What a smart police officer for unknowingly giving me a little gem of a reminder, thank you universe.  Then there are those days that sail by, your “to do” list is almost complete, your staff are on time and giving amazing customer service, you eat really well all day and can’t wait to text your trainer about your amazing work out and you crawl into bed that night with a huge smile on your face about the day’s accomplishments.

Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue. Appreciate the days you are the pigeon because it gives you strength, drive and a boost to your confidence. Also appreciate the days you are the statue because being crapped on can give you the drive to do better and the determination to try harder, plus you learn to appreciate the days you are the statue so much more, after all even Cinderella had her rough days! 

No comments: