Monday, June 27, 2011

Discipline

So I'm gonna tell one on myself. This last bit has been a bit of a struggle. I've watched my weight hover at the 10lbs loss mark, not really taking the initiative to get it moving. Yesterday I was having a particularly difficult day, my back was super tense, stiff, and what I like to call "pinchy." So I decided to have one of my infamous conversations with myself to see WTF. I quickly zeroed in on one small fact about my life, which blew open one giant door and have been standing in this new doorway most of the day. What is this small fact you ask...
DISCIPLINE
When I think back, all the waaaay back, to growing up I don't ever really remember being disciplined, grounded, scolded.... OK there is this one time my brother and I were fighting at the grocery store and my mom made us walk home, but other than that I don't really recall. Now, you may be thinking " That's because you were a good child Nikki?" I laugh and will simply say, what my Mumma doesn't know won't hurt her. Mumma, if you're reading this, don't ask please. Growing up I never really did my homework, or left it till the very last moment and was given whatever I asked for 75% of the time. Don't get me wrong I have really great parents, that did the best they knew how and I'm totally thankful for that, but clearly didn't learn about discipline, so I took to the internet to do a little reading on the subject. 

I read this short series on Self-Discipline by Steve Pavlina (click here for link). There was one sentence that stuck out most in the six part series. "Self-discipline is the ability to get yourself to take action regardless of your emotional state. Imagine what you could accomplish if you could simply get yourself to follow through on your best intentions no matter what" So what pops into my head when I read that? I SO WANT THAT!

After reading this article and standing in the doorway most of the day, I saw how this lack of discipline and played out in my life. It rears its ugly head the most when it comes to the areas of health, weight, finances and career. I spent a few hours reading up on discipline, self discipline, how it applies to academics, military, etc. There is tons of information out there, just Google "self discipline". Gotta love Google. 

There is only one thing I can think of and I read this in one of the many articles I came across "there is no greater reason for self-discipline, than a vision for your life" When I think about my life, it's the very reason I started writing this blog in the first place, to be different, to change the habits, so that's what I'm gonna get re-focused on doing. As stated in Steve Pavilna's article I will start small, one day at a time. It's like building a muscle, the muscle is weak at first, but with exercise it gets stronger! 

Time to get stronger!!! 

No comments: